Thursday, April 05, 2007

A fateless destiny

So tonight while talking with Danielle something got said (I can't remember what, and it's not that pertinent to the narrative) and Daneille said something like, "Don't say that, cause then it's out in the universe and it'll happen now", and I laughed at her for being silly. Then that sort of turned into a talk about superstition and fate and how we disagree on these things, she believes in them but I don't. Anyway, this isn't really a post on my distaste of religion or similar things, but more that I couldn't quite get across how being an atheist makes the world more beautiful for understanding how it was shaped, or how knowing that my sense of right and wrong come from ancient ancestors huddling together for security don't make them more important to me, or (more on topic to what we were discussing) not thinking that things happen for a reason makes every choice more fulfilling. I've tried to force some Richard Dawkins on her, cause he's better at explaining these things but it hasn't happened yet.

And yes I know that Danielle is gonna read this, but it's on my mind so I'm writing it anyway.

No comments: